Lines 41-60, Keats' Ode to a Nightingale

I cannot see what flowers are at my feet,11
Nor what soft incense hangs upon the boughs,10
But, in embalmèd darkness, guess each sweet10
Wherewith the seasonable month endows10
The grass, the thicket, and the fruit-tree wild;10
White hawthorn, and the pastoral eglantine;11
Fast-fading violets covered up in leaves;10
And mid-May's eldest child7
The coming musk-rose, full of dewy wine,10
The murmurous haunt of flies on summer eves.11

The Enchanted Garden, by John William Waterhouse
Ode to a Nightingale is melancholy and wistful but this stanza, one of my favorites, shows hope in the the beauty of his surroundings. Even though his vision is blinded by the darkness. And the flowers which seem to just be a list of favorites have hidden meanings which link them to the rest of the poem.

It's also very pleasing to recite, try whispering it to yourself (the whole poem, or listen to it). I love how Keats' rhymes are subtle, at first maybe you only notice two or four but then you go back and see each of his lines have a counter-word that rhymes, at least until you reach this next stanza:

Darkling I listen; and for many a time11
I have been half in love with easeful Death,10
Called him soft names in many a musèd rhyme,11
To take into the air my quiet breath;10
Now more than ever seems it rich to die,10
To cease upon the midnight with no pain,10
While thou art pouring forth thy soul abroad10
In such an ecstasy!6
Still wouldst thou sing, and I have ears in vain -10
To thy high requiem become a sod.10

Why do you think he had the word ecstasy stand alone? What are your impressions of the poem?

Comments

Ecstasy in those days meant excitement, in both the positive and negative senses. It could mean swoon into a fit. What he seems to be saying is, he wants to die while he is excited and fulfilled by the rich song of the nightingale. He wants to die happy - not while he is saddened by thoughts of his brother's death. The last lines don't make any sense to me. By the way, "sod" ni this context may not be a grass turf. In one of Terry Pratchett's books (and lots of slang used in the 19th century still remain to this day) one character says, "I am a bugger and a sod." I think sod could mean an idiot or something insulting. "Sod off!" is a slang which means "get lost" which was used in the 1980's. In this case Keats may be saying he's a dull, low, insensitive man who can't fully appreciate the baeutiful song.
Oh I nearly forgot. This part has some resemblance to the proposal scene in Jane Eyre. Since there's a few Keats quotations it's possible Charlotte Bronte based the proposal scene on Ode to a Nightingale.
Katherine Cox said…
It does have some other meanings but I don't think they makes sense with the context, here's my interpretation:

"To cease upon the midnight with no pain while thou art pouring forth thy soul abroad in such an ecstasy"
--poet imagines dying right now while the nightingale sings with such happiness

"still wouldst thou sing, and I have ears in vain- to thy high requiem become a sod"
--But the nightingale would keep singing and his ears wouldn't register the music since he's dead and the song would become a memorial as he goes back to earth/the ground.
Journeyman said…
Something I'm quite disappointed about is the fact that I know almost nothing about poetry. I've read some (including this one), and I do enjoy Keats, Byron, Shelley, and Whitman, among others, but I never seem to understand or appreciate as much as I should.

All of this is to say, I love this post and one's like it. Tackling bits of poetry at a time, thinking about what lines mean... it's nice. I'm much more of a fiction & prose kind of person, so poetics and theoretical analyses leaves me stumped. But I still like to think about it at times.

Popular Posts